From today's featured article
C. J. Cregg is a fictional character, played by Allison Janney (pictured), on the American serial television drama The West Wing. From the beginning of the series in 1999 until the sixth season in 2004, she is White House press secretary in the administration of President Josiah Bartlet. After that, she serves as the president's chief of staff until the end of the show in 2006. The character is said to have been partially inspired by real-life White House press secretary Dee Dee Myers, who worked as a consultant on the show. Aaron Sorkin, the show's creator, designed Cregg to be assertive and independent from the show's men. She is portrayed as a smart, strong, witty, and thoughtful character, although she is frequently patronized and objectified by her male coworkers. Initially, she is portrayed as politically inept, but she quickly becomes one of the most savvy characters on the show. For her performance, Janney received four Primetime Emmy Awards and four Screen Actors Guild Awards. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
In the news
On this day
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal – The central hub for editors, with resources, links, tasks, and announcements.
- Village pump – Forum for discussions about Wikipedia itself, including policies and technical issues.
- Site news – Sources of news about Wikipedia and the broader Wikimedia movement.
- Teahouse – Ask basic questions about using or editing Wikipedia.
- Help desk – Ask questions about using or editing Wikipedia.
- Reference desk – Ask research questions about encyclopedic topics.
- Content portals – A unique way to navigate the encyclopedia.
Wikipedia's sister projects
Free media repository
Wiki software development
Wikimedia project coordination
Free textbooks and manuals
Free knowledge base
Collection of quotations
Directory of species
Free learning tools
Free travel guide
Dictionary and thesaurus